Sweet Potato Kale Chicken Soup
Recipe inspired by: Skinny Taste
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin (Replace with turmeric for low histamine)
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 fresh jalapeno, sliced in half (omit for low histamine)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 chicken breasts, on the bone, skin removed (about 26 oz with bone)
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled, diced
- 3 cups kale, roughly chopped
Heat a large nonstick pot or Dutch oven over medium low heat, add the oil and the onions and celery and cook until soft and golden, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Add the garlic and dry spices and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Add the chicken broth, chicken, jalapeno and cilantro. Cover and cook 20 minutes.
Then add the sweet potato and kale and cook until the sweet potatoes are tender and the chicken is cooked, about 25 to 30 minutes.
Remove the chicken, shred or cut up and discard the bones.
Return chicken to the pot, discard the jalapeno and serve the soup into 6 bowls.
*if buying boxed broth be sure to check for added sugar and preservatives. Organic and grass fed always preferred